Thursday, October 06, 2005

Day three of school. I feel like there is so much bursting in my brain, I either start talking/typing and never stop, or I step outside myself and just observe (which means I'm quiet and stare off into space a lot).

Today I realized I was misinformed... or naive... or just not experienced enough to know. The library world, the "information world" is changing at an amazing pace. I think part of that is because it's so closely related to technology, which changes so quickly.

I learned in undergrad, as a computer science major, that technology changes a lot. We used to joke about the fact that when you buy a computer it's already outdated when you take it out of the box. Of course it's not a joke - it's true.

For some reason, I thought the library world would be more stable than this. I'd learn the bits of library info I needed to know, cataloging, the ins and outs of the Dewey Decimal System and Library of Congress, etc. Yeah, we will learn those things, but it's much more than that. Libraries are changing - or should be changing or they won't be around much more. They're changing and growing and adapting.

Not that this is a bad thing. I just have to readjust some expectations I had....

No comments: